In this blog, I pledged to try one new thing each month in 2018. The new thing could be trying a new food, doing a new activity, or going someplace new. I have asked my fellow readers and my boyfriend to hold me accountable. At the end of each month, I will tell you all what new thing or things I have tried. I will also discuss the barriers that caused me to not try it before.
One thing I did was to try a new activity. I went to a dessert show!
Barrier to going to a dessert show in the past: I didn’t know dessert shows were a thing. I keep calling them dessert parties.
Why I wanted to go to a dessert show: It’s dessert!
My thoughts on the dessert show:
- There wasn’t much of a selection
- The desserts were handheld, which was probably helpful
- I wrote a blog post all about it and how the proceeds went to veterans with PTSD who are seeking treatment at a local VA Hospital
I also tried a new food too. Seaweed salad.
Barrier to eating seaweed salad: I don’t really know. Before a couple of years ago, the only time I heard of seaweed salad is in that one song from Rent.
Why I wanted to try seaweed salad: It came with my delicious ahi tuna.
My thoughts on the seaweed salad:
- Pretty good
- It’s crunchier than I expected, though
- That’s why I gave some seaweed salad to Franklin
Last, I tried a new thing this month. Bench pressing with a Smith machine (yes, I know Smith machines are bad, but it’s what the kickboxing gym has. It’s a Smith machine with a chest fly machine and some pulley attachments).
Barrier to bench pressing: I’m not a serious weightlifter. Only athletes, weightlifters (including powerlifters), and bodybuilders bench press.
Why I wanted to try it: Well, I was lifting weights with another kickboxer and he had me try it.
My thoughts on the Smith machine bench press:
- I liked it, but I don’t want to do it every time I go to kickboxing
- Definitely good for a beginner if they feel nervous about using a barbell to bench press.